After exploring the People Like Us website (http://www.pbs.org/peoplelikeus/), and reading my sociology book, I’ve become quite irritated. I always knew our society was materialistic, but not to the degree you see in the text, and on the website mentioned above. It’s no wonder there are so many issues in society today.
The reading and website tell us that social class matters more than it should in the United States. I can’t believe that people are the way they are in the videos, yet we say that people don’t like to admit that the class section exists. Do they not see how they come across? “Look at who my relatives are, I wouldn’t drive a Ford, middle class people have no taste, preppy, dorky, looser, ghetto”. Who are they kidding? They radiate being snot. Learning to be a butler? Making sure you talk to someone of class with proper words? Are they kidding? Aren’t we all humans? The people with new money crack me up. It seems they are more brass than those with old money. The statues are overkill. (I sure hope there is nobody rich reading this.) LOL! I can’t believe the lady being interviewed, Laura, says that she doesn’t consider Police Officers to be classy people. How in the world is that marriage going to work?
I was homeschooled from 4th grade until graduation. So I don’t get the Belles, shown in the video from the People Like Us website. The dancing seems provocative, and the costumes were bizarre, yet they think they are the upper class of high school. I am really glad I did not go to regular high school if they are all like that. They put on performances at half time of football games, and that make them better? What about the smart kids in school? The reading makes a good point about education being a way to have a better life, and that to me seems more important than having old money, social status, or if you know which fork to use.
I never realized until I read the text, that there is an “Upper Middle Class”. I thought there were just a low class, middle class, and upper class. Not only do we have upper middle class, but there is working class, and lower middle class as well. Way too many “classes”. It makes it almost seem ridiculous. On the PBS website I played the “Chintz or Shag” game, and scored middle class. Oh well. LOL! Overall it was an enlightening, and fun in a weird way to explore the site, and see how other people actually think. However, I really hope these snotty people are the minority, rather than the majority.
I think there are honestly people who want to get ahead, not just for material possession, but also to make better lives for themselves and for their families. Then there are people who just want to make money and move up on the social class scale because they want to be noticed, envied, and show off how rich they are. Social class matters way too much to the middle and upper class, in my opinion. Even if I won the lottery tomorrow, I would like to believe I would not change. Sure I might get some more clothes, and a new car, but I would hope that I would help others. I know for certain I would not buy any statues for my lawn.
It’s sad with all the struggles of the lower class, and how they just want to do better for themselves, yet there are people out there stressing over the proper word for curtains, and if there are extra sofa arm covers to hide the dirt. Where we go to school, where our dad works, what car we drive, and our shoe brand, should not matter more than what we do to contribute to society. We need to be concerned about how much we help others, and not just ourselves. I guess, according to where you grew up, the peer pressure to do well, and be materialistic, matters too much. I guess for Paris Hilton’s circle, it might be really embarrassing for her to be caught with a Roxy purse. Perhaps she would be shunned in her own circle.
I prefer to wear comfy jeans, a cozy shirt, and flip-flops or converse, and no matter where I go (a trip to Macy’s, a quick walk through in Neiman Marcus, or eating out at cheesecake factory) I feel good about who I am. I am lucky that my friends, and family, do not judge me, or others, for the brand of clothing we wear. Instead of judging a person by whether they walk close to a wall with their head down or walk down the middle of a hallway with their head held high, why not get to know their heart? Get to know where they come from and how they want to help make our world a little more comfortable to live in. I have misjudged a few people based on appearance, only to find out they were some of the most remarkable people I had the privilege to get to know.
Kylie,
ReplyDeleteEnjoyed your post. It seems you had fun with this assignment. Classes are an inevitable by-product of our society and capitalisitc economy. I sure you've heared the phrase "keeping up with the Jones's" That is part of our problem with classes and peoples perceptions of them. The distinctions are purely economically driven and should have no bearing on how society views the individuals within them. Each of us would most likely be sucessful if given eaqual opportunity to do so.
Kylie
ReplyDeleteYou are right there are way to many class catagories in our society. I personally don't think that what you wear, how much money you make, or what car you drive has any thing to do with being "clssy". I think a person who carries themselves with confidence and treats themselves and others with respect has class no matter what fork they use to eat their salad with.
You put it perfectly. I think that if we look at a what a person drives, or wears, and think they are classy, that is "unclassy". I think class should come from the way we respect ourselves, and others, and how we treat people.
ReplyDelete