I think technology is great! I think we are more advanced because of it, and I think we can see, hear, and learn things, we would never know without it. However, I do think there is a fine line that can be crossed. It is funny, because this is a current issue in our home. My sister has gotten so comfortable with technology, that she has lost some social skills, and actually prefers talking to friends online, or texting. My parents have been telling her that she needs to interact because someday she is going to have to go for a job interview, and if she can’t “talk” to people in person, she is going to have a hard time convincing a potential employer that she is the right person for the job.
I love technology because we are military, and we move a lot, and without it, I would not be able to keep up with many friends I have met in different places. I love my Petville game I play online with friends on Facebook. In person I like to talk to friends I know, but I am not really good at meeting new people. It is very uncomfortable for me. I would rather meet people, get to know them on facebook, or through texting, and then when I am comfortable, deal with them in person.
So in my experience, and with the experience I have seen among friends, I would say that we have become very dependent on technology. Therefore, we have isolated ourselves, by depending on technology to interact, and to relay information. As I type this, my Mom is laughing, because my Dad texted her to tell her to bring up his water when she comes upstairs. HA HA!
I have also seen a lot of TV shows where people have their technology taken away to see how it changes their lives. It’s interesting how people actually have withdrawals. They can get angry, try to sneak, etc. Eventually they learn they are too dependent, and try to change habits. Most of the time when there is a follow up, they find that the person has gone back to their old habits.
I think we should be concerned to a degree. We need technology in order to enjoy the success we enjoy in this country. However, I think we have to be careful to not let it over take our lives. Like the family I saw when we went to eat lunch after church, the Mom, Dad, and 3 kids, were all on cell phones, or game players. They did not talk the entire time. I think in those cases, we have to be concerned, and need to make sure people understand that too much of a good thing, is not good.
No comments:
Post a Comment