June 15, 2010

BBC video

I thought the video of Hugh Laurie singing, and then Stephen Fry comes in at the end and punching him, was quite funny. Hugh Laurie is one of my favorite actors. I watch House religiously.

In relation to the reading this week in Chapter 3, I would say that BBC is trying to make fun of American’s to a point, but not to be terribly offensive. A lot of cultures mentioned in the reading state that they want to keep American influence out of their culture, but I don’t think the British are as extreme about it as most cultures.

Hugh Laurie comes across as a working American, with his headband, sweaty brow, and flannel shirt. He’s singing “America” and “The states”, over and over, maybe representing how prideful we are of our country, but they don’t think we have much substance behind what we say. Instead of singing “America is great because…..”, its just “America” over and over.

I know each country has great pride in their history, and the life provided to its citizens, and so England might feel their way of life is superior to ours, and of course we think there is no place like the land of opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment