June 24, 2010

Nature vs. Nurture

After reading about Nature vs. Nurture, and listening to the blog, I have to say that I am the odd person who believes in both. I see valid points for both. I think part of who we are is passed down in our DNA. I see, for the most part, girls have "girly" traits, and boys have "boyish" traits. Those lines can be crossed, but some things just are. On the other hand, how we are raised greatly affects what we do, and what we become. I guess I would say that Nurture probably plays a bigger part in how we socialize, and what we do in life, but I definitely believe that Nature plays a part as well.

If you look at studies with twins, there is proof that even when separated at birth, and raised apart, twins will still share certain personality traits, and many times are found to be living parallel life's. This website has a lot of information. http://web.pdx.edu/~megr/inquiry_naturevsnurture.htm

The book tells us that Nature vs Nurture interact. Sociobiology explains that biology plays a role in social activities of animals and humans (Giddens pg. 59). The instincts a baby has to root and nurse are also social interactions that come from biology (Giddens pg. 60). Society on the other hand influences many personality traits, like who we are attracted to. The media shows us what is supposed to be attractive, and we often times will look for that (Giddens pg. 61). So in my opinion, Nature (biology) will give us certain traits that make us who we are, and Nurture (society) will demonstrate the way we are supposed to be in society. When you mix the two you can come up with very unique human beings because of biology, and very similar people in society because of society.

No comments:

Post a Comment